Mexican and Canadian Visas – TN Visa
The “TN” Visa is a non-immigrant visa ideal for individuals who are citizens of either Canada or Mexico who seek to enter the United States to work in a professional capacity on a temporary basis. The TN, or TN-1 Visa was created as a result of the North American Free Trade Agreement, more commonly referred to as NAFTA.
ADVANTAGES OF THE TN VISA
TN’s have advantages over other types of visas depending upon your particular needs.
- TN’s can be obtained faster versus other visas
- TN’s are suitable for employers that need to quickly hire a qualifying employee
- TN’s are not subject to annual caps or limits
- TN’s are valid for up to 3 year periods and can be renewed indefinitely
- TN’s can be obtained at the border with no required petition to U.S. immigration* (*for Canadian citizens-Mexican citizens need to present a visa application)
- Spouses and Dependents can be admitted with the TN visa holder (“TD” visa)
DISADVANTAGES OF THE TN VISA
- TN’s are only valid for specified professional occupations under NAFTA
- TN spouses and dependents cannot lawfully work in the U.S.
- TN visas are non-immigrant, not “dual intent” visas and this can negatively affect individuals later seeking lawful permanent resident status (green card) in U.S.
WHO QUALIFIES FOR THE TN VISA?
Canadian and Mexican citizens qualify. Additionally, your job/business activity must be one of the approved professions on the NAFTA list, you must be qualified to work in the profession, and have a job offer from a U.S. employer that is temporary in nature (up to the maximum authorized 3 year period).
We strongly recommend that you consult with an experienced immigration law firm in the U.S. such as Colombo & Hurd, PL, to maximize your opportunity to successfully obtain a TN Visa. Contact our TN Visa lawyers today for a consultation to start the TN Visa process at 1(800)549-5523.