Under U.S. law, asylum may be granted to foreigners who can establish a well founded fear of persecution if they were returned to their home countries based upon their political opinion, race, religion, nationality, or membership in a particular social group. At Colombo & Hurd, our asylum lawyers in Florida have successfully obtained asylum for people from many countries, allowing them to legally reside in the United States. We are dedicated to both helping foreign nationals escape persecution in their home countries and securing them a safe haven here in the U.S.
Florida Asylum and Immigration Lawyers of Colombo & Hurd
Asylum can be granted to individuals just arriving in the U.S. or to people who are already physically in the country. If you are arriving in the U.S., you may ask for asylum at the port of entry (i.e. airport, seaport, border crossing, etc.), or if you are already in the U.S. you or your attorney must prepare and file an I-589 form (Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal) within a year of your arrival, whether you are residing in the country legally or undocumented. Furthermore, in order to be granted asylum, you must present sufficient evidence or show proof that you were persecuted, or are at risk of persecution should you return to your home country. You can apply for asylum affirmatively by filing the application and initiating the asylum process, or you can seek asylum as a defense to pending deportation proceedings.
It can be very difficult to prove that you experienced persecution since much of the evidence remains in your home country. However, an experienced attorney who understands how to properly prepare, file, and present an asylum case can greatly increase your chances of obtaining asylum in the U.S. At Colombo & Hurd, our Florida Asylum Attorneys have successfully helped many clients obtain asylum in the U.S. at all stages of the asylum process. Some of our proudest achievements in asylum cases include successfully representing clients in the following cases:
- Venezuela Obtaining asylum victory at trial for a Venezuelan couple who had been waiting more than five years to try to win their case for protection against the Chavez regime. Over the years, the attorneys of Colombo & Hurd have successfully represented dozens of Venezuelan national in asylum proceedings in Immigration Court as well as through the Asylum Office.
- Syria Obtaining multiple affirmative asylum approvals for Syrians who have been impacted by the events that have unfolded over the past several years throughout Syria. We are proud to have filed over 50 asylum applications for Syrians seeking asylum in the United States and have have filed successful Syrian asylum cases on grounds of political affiliation, social group and religious persecution.
- Brazil Helping a former attorney for the Brazilian Ministry of Health obtain asylum after he had suffered assaults from his role in persecuting corruption.
- Iraq Representing an Iraqi national who had assisted the U.S. government in Iraq obtain asylum based on his well founded fear of persecution from Al-Qaeda in Iraq.
- Colombia Prevailing in the appeal of an incorrect decision of an Immigration Judge to deny asylum to a former Colombian magistrate who was threatened by the FARC. On Appeal, we reversed the decision of the Immigration Judge. Our client and her family now are lawful permanent residents.
- China Assisting a Chinese national achieve protection in the United States as a result of her fear that she would be persecuted in China resulting from her violation of the “One-Child Policy”.
- Uzbekistan Protecting a witness of the Andijan uprising and subsequent massacre from being removed when he feared government persecution if he were to return to Uzbekistan.
- Egypt Representing several Egyptians who have faced persecution as a result of the challenges following the ousting of the Mubarak regime. Our successful representation has included Christians who fear persecution as a result of their religious beliefs as well as women who have suffered persecution due to intolerance.
In these and dozens of other cases we have assisted our clients by preparing the asylum applications, obtaining, analyzing, and submitting the requisite supporting evidence, and representing the client from the initial interview though the conclusion of judicial proceedings.
If you seeking asylum in the United States, contact the experienced U.S. asylum and immigration attorneys at Colombo & Hurd, PL today for an initial consultation at 1 (800) 549-5523.